Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Beach

I happen to be at the beach right now, and I'm glad. I think I would feel worse if I weren't here. The beach always gives me a sense of calm and freedom. The scent of salt in the air makes me feel at home, and the sound of the waves rushing to hug the beach whispers to my heart to be still. I can feel my family here.

My Pawpaw Poochie and Uncle Gerry were both sailors. Pawpaw was a lifer in the Navy, and Uncle Gerry was in the Navy for a while, too. Afterward he captained boats out of Gulf Shores for deep sea fishing trips and the like. My father served in the Navy, too, but I still have him. I can feel them wrapping their arms around me and watching over me when I am at the beach.

The world seems right when I have sand on my feet and a sea breeze in my face. I'm not as at peace as usual tonight. I'm filled with tension and anxiety, and I can't seem to make them go away. My heart is trying to beat out of my chest and I am in suspense over my latest confession, which I may well come to regret. I really hope it doesn't ruin things.

No comments:

Post a Comment